Supply Chain Consulting and Warehouse Design Methodology
Our independent, industrial engineering-based approach to supply chain design is firmly rooted in the design of optimal networks and operational processes that have been developed as a result of detailed data analysis. We employ a logical and progressive methodology, moving from discovery, strategic planning, data analysis, alternative development, comparative evaluation, design detailing, validation, implementation, and performance auditing.
The results of our distribution network and warehouse, distribution, and e-commerce fulfillment design initiatives range from the functionally pragmatic to some of the most innovative, technologically advanced, and tactically superior supply chain operations on the planet.
Our Consultants, Engineers, and Analysts answer these and many more questions:
- How many distribution centers should be operated?
- Large Centralized Consolidated DC?
- Smaller DCs Closer to Customer?
- Hub and Spoke DC Model?
- Break-Bulk or Cross-Dock Model?
- Micro-Warehouse Model?
- Where geographically should the DCs be located?
- How large should each facility be?
- Which SKUs and at inventory depths should reside in each DC?
- Which customers should be serviced from each DC?
- What port(s) of entry and transportation mode(s) should be leveraged?
- What is the ideal combination of processes, systems, infrastructure, and labor that will produce high-service levels, low cost, flexibility, scalability and mitigate risk?
Where are you on the operational continuum?
OPSdesign® Discovery Services define the current state and opportunities to improve our client's supply chain networks and the processes, systems, infrastructure, and labor within their operations. We perform a gap analysis between existing and best practices.
Where do you want to be?
OPSdesign® Strategy Services develop (or refine) a corporate supply chain vision and an action plan with which to add value, reduce cost, assure quality, compress time, and achieve strategic advantage and tactical superiority™.
What is your best path to get there?
OPSdesign® Planning Services provide a roadmap to reach your supply chain objective. Network optimization, facilities design, process engineering, equipment requirements, labor deployment, mechanization, automation, and information systems support alternatives undergo a thorough comparative analysis.
How do you execute the plan?
OPSdesign® Implentation Services are designed to provide project management, interim leadership, infrastructure and systems specification development, sealed competitive bid administration, vendor management, training, testing, commissioning, and go-live support,
- Warehousing, Distribution, and Fulfillment Operations Audits (current vs. best practice gap analysis)
- Mapping Current Supply Chain Footprint, Service Levels, and Cost to Serve
- Supply Chain Data Mining, Scrubbing, Analysis, and Quantitative Profiling
- On-Site Observation and Documentation of Existing Processes, Systems, Infrastructure and Labor
- Volumetric Flow Mapping and Recording Capacity/Throughput Metrics
- Identification of Operational Pain Points
- Supply Chain Strategy Development and Master Planning
- SKU Rationalization and Inventory Level Optimization
- Market Channel Strategic Development
- Development of Unique Supply Chain Value Proposition (USCVP)™
- Customer Supply Chain Requirements Research and Vision Initiatives
- Location Modeling, Transportation, Logistics and Distribution Network Analysis
- Vendor / Supplier Collaboration and Compliance Analysis
- Space and Adjacency Requirements PlanningSite Development and Facilities Planning
- Manufacturing, Warehousing, Distribution and Fulfillment Operations Design
- Manual, Mechanized, Automated, and Robotic Systems Comparative Analysis
- Material Handling and Storage Infrastructure Systems and Process Engineering / Re-Engineering
- Supply Chain Information Systems and HMI Functional Requirements
- SKU Profiling, Velocity Slotting, and Location Mapping
- Computer Simulation Modeling, Predictive Analysis and Sensitivity Testing
- Development and Maintenance of Master Project Schedule and Budget
- Project Management and Administration
- Supply Chain Systems Requirements Analysis, Specifications and Sealed Bid Administration
- Material Handling and Storage Systems Requirements Analysis, Specifications and Sealed Bid Administration
- Human / Machine Interface Systems Requirements Analysis, Specifications and Sealed Bid Administration
- Value-Engineering with Successful Vendors (chosen by client)
- Development of Standard Operating Procedures and Training Manuals by Function
- Formation of Staffing Requirements, Job Descriptions and Definition of Duties
- Pilot Testing and Training Lab Development
- Production of Demonstration Scripts and Administration of Stress Testing and Acceptance Protocol
- Go-Live Support, Stabilization, and Post Go-Live Operations Optimization